Skip to main content
Question

Using NQE to get BGP routes advertised.

• 19 August 2024
  • 4 replies

Has anyone put together a simple Query to grab the advertised routes to a BGP Peer?
I haven’t had much time to try, but maybe someone has done this on side.
In summary, I want to try and associate routes to a device/location in our branch environment.

foreach device in network.devices

where "Branch" in device.tagNames && "WAN" in device.tagNames

I thought there would be some simple query in the model to just pull ‘bgp advertised routes’ and I could limit it with the above, and associate that route to that location. But after looking for 10 min, I couldn’t find anything of use. 

Anyway, if anyone has done something, it would be great to see/try. 
I saw a very ‘wild’ one on the community @baher , amazing work BTW.

But i’m basically looking for the result of the routes advertised to any BGP neighbor.

@cariddir 

You have to enable BGP advertisement on the device, You can then inspect ribIn and ribOut. 

Note: Adding BGP advertisements will increase collection time.

@cariddir 

You can modify the query in the example listed in the model under

network > devices > bgpRib > afiSafis > neighbors > adjRibOutPost > routes

with

where "Branch" in device.tagNames && "WAN" in device.tagNames

As Gary mentioned, you will need to enable collection of BGP routes on the devices from which you need to view the data.

This is great. And it works… Except, 90% of our WAN is ASS-D-WAN now, (not a typo, just a frustration!

I’m not sure how to achieve the same result with OMP.
Anyway, back to the drawing board.

The adjRibOUtPost object lists entries from the BGP table that are being advertised to BGP neighbors.

To model routes in the routing table (whether or not the device runs BGP),  Forward Enterprise normalizes the routes into the Abstract Forwarding Tables.

These tables may have what you are looking for in your SDWAN devices.