Skip to main content

Implementing PCI-DSS Compliance

• 31 January 2024
  • 0 replies

Recently, I've been on a journey exploring PCI-DSS compliance alongside our valued customers, seeking to understand their unique challenges. During this experience, I've gained valuable insights that I'm eager to share with the hope that it will assist you in gracefully navigating the complexities of PCI-DSS compliance.

I look forward to hearing about your experiences and challenges with PCI-DSS compliance so please don’t hesitate to share.

Here are the key topics:

Network Segmentation Enforcement

• Ensure compliance with PCI-DSS guidelines by continually  monitoring enforcement point policy behavior  between different network zones and ensuring parity with corporate governance.
  • Control the applications and protocols allowed across firewall zones.
  • Evaluate flows for firewall zones, VRFs, and subnets.
  • Automate provisioning workflows when possible

Flow Analysis

• Enforce PCI-DSS application flows through designated enforcement points.
  • Detect and prevent firewall and WAF bypass attempts.
  • Monitor flows to identify critical enforcement point failures.
  • Gain attack surface insights by mapping security controls to network elements, applications, and subnets.
  • Validate user access to critical network areas to ensure compliance using  least-privilege models
  • Enforce and validate Layer 7 policies for PCI-DSS flows.
  • Verify WAF interception for Card Holder Environment.
  • Ensure encryption and user authentication for all flows.

Flow Integrity

• Ensure the use of the latest NIST-recommended ciphers network-wide.
  • Validate key sizes and PKI configurations.
  • Monitor SSL events for anomalies, such as illegal cipher usage, CRL parsing, OCSP events, and certificate expiry.

Configuration Compliance

• Prevent non-compliant configuration actions on network devices.
  • Enable alerts for any non-compliant configuration changes.
  • Monitor security rule compliance, including rule descriptions, audit fields, business owners, and rule expiration.
  • Monitor policy rule hits and verify they are within expected parameters..

Network Asset Integrity

• Conduct vulnerability and exposure analysis on network devices and hosts.
  • Elevate asset criticality scores for network devices that transport PCI-DSS flows
  • Devise and deploy remediation strategies based upon risk-based prioritization models.
  • Ensure proper WAF configuration for application security.
  • Validate and harden network device configurations per vendor recommendations.

Insight Visibility

• Continuously audit PCI-DSS compliance using KPI dashboard composite metric scoring.
Be the first to reply!